Doula Services + Natural Birthing
“Birth is an opportunity to transcend. To rise above what we are accustomed to, reach deeper inside ourselves than we are familiar with, and to see not only what we are truly made of , but the strength we access in and through birth.” -Marci Macari
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning, “a woman who serves”. She is a professional trained in childbirth who understands the physiology of birthing, as well as the emotional needs of the mother. Studies have shown that when doulas are present throughout pregnancy and deliveries, there are fewer complications, labors are significantly shorter, babies are healthier, and the mother is happier.The doula does not reside in the medical role, but instead offers emotional, physical, informational, and nonjudegemental support. Her role is nurturing, protecting the mother and her partner’s needs, as well as offering the education necessary for them to understand exactly what their needs may be. Birth is a natural process and a physical expression of health. These doula services are committed to working with you to ensure that your birth experience will be positive, loving, and empowering.
Clinical studies have proven that the use of a doula significantly reduces the risk of cesarean deliveries, forceps, and episiotomies. There’s also a vast decrease in the use of Pitocin, pain medications, and a reduction in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery.
What to Expect:
- Initial interview requires no obligation
- 24/7 availability by phone/text/email to answer any questions
- Education on birth choices to build a birth plan
- Help examine the benefits/risks of medical procedures
- Information and practice of comfort measures
- 3 (or more) prenatal visits (in the comfort of your own home)
- Prenatal Massage and Yoga (additional fee may be required)
- Invitations to private or group classes
- Constant labor support and 1-2hours postpartum
- Comfort and relaxation techniques throughout labor
- 2 postpartum visits including a review of birth
- Backup doula
- Provide community resources
BIRTH DOULA SERVICES
$500 – $1500 (depending on the unique needs of the parents)
Half of payment is due at second meeting. Remaining half is due at 36 weeks.